USGA Trophies

The Hall of Champions in the new Arnold Palmer Center for Golf History celebrates every USGA champion and championship. The rotunda, illuminated by a clerestory, houses all 13 original USGA national championship trophies, while the name of every champion is inscribed on bronze panels that encircle the hall. The room’s quiet elegance allows visitors to reflect on the grandeur of USGA championship history. Kiosks with a newly developed USGA championship database are also available throughout the main exhibition gallery, allowing visitors to search USGA championship records by player, date and host site.

 

Established in 1895, the U.S. Amateur is the oldest USGA championship.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Amateur Championship
Established in 1895, the U.S. Amateur is the oldest of the USGA’s 13 national championships. The trophy was initially presented to the USGA on March 28, 1895, in honor of the Association’s first President, Theodore A. Havemeyer.

The original Havemeyer Trophy, an ornate silver cup, was first presented to Charles Blair Macdonald at Newport Golf Club following his victory in the inaugural championship on October 3, 1895. The trophy was later lost in a devastating fire at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, on November 22, 1925.

The USGA chose to design a new trophy rather than replicate the original form. The 16th-century-style steeple cup was formally presented in 1926 by USGA Treasurer Edward S. Moore. A copy produced in 1992 is passed from champion to champion.

 

The first U.S. Open Championship was won by Horace Rawlins in 1895.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Open Championship
The first U.S. Open Championship was won by Horace Rawlins at Newport Golf Club in Rhode Island in October 1895. Rawlins earned $150, a gold champion’s medal, and custody of the sterling silver championship trophy for one year. The trophy was displayed at Rawlins’ home club until presented to the next year’s champion. The rite has endured for more than a century.

The original two-handled trophy with its distinctive hand-chased golfing scene was destroyed by fire in September 1946 at Lloyd Mangrum’s home club, Tam O’Shanter, outside Chicago. The USGA considered replacing it with a new design, but opted instead to preserve the look of the original with a full-scale replica on April 24, 1947. This replica remained in service, passed from champion to champion, until 1986, when it was permanently retired to the USGA Museum. Today, the U.S. Open champion takes custody of a full-scale replica for one year.

 

In 1896, Robert Cox donated a trophy for the U.S. Women's Amateur.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship
In 1896, Robert Cox, a Scottish member of the British Parliament and a graduate of the University of St. Andrews, offered to donate a trophy to the USGA for use in the U.S. Women’s Amateur with the condition that the championship be contested at Morris County Golf Club in Convent Station, N.J. Cox had fallen in love with the Morris County layout during his many visits to the United States. The USGA accepted his conditions and his trophy, but only after an extensive background check.

The Cox Trophy is the longest-serving USGA championship trophy still in existence, presented annually to each champion since Beatrix Hoyt’s victory in 1896. Hallmarks indicate that the extensive enamel work was produced by noted New York silversmith George W. Shiebler & Co. A replica trophy was produced in 1990 and first awarded to Pat Hurst at Canoe Brook Country Club in Summit, N.J.

 

The trophy for the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship
The creation of an annual championship solely for public-course players was the idea of James D. Standish, Jr., a longtime member of the USGA Executive Committee and President from 1950 to 1951. In the early 1920s, the swelling ranks of America’s public-course golfers inspired him to propose the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship. The USGA acknowledged the need for such a grass-roots competition, naming Standish the Chairman of the newly formed Public and Municipal Courses Committee. Standish commissioned and donated the sterling silver trophy, which was first claimed by Edmund R. Held with his victory in the inaugural championship in 1922 at the Ottawa Park Course in Toledo, Ohio.

 

The U.S. Women's Open trophy was first presented in 1953 to Betsy Rawls.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Women’s Open Championship
The “Ladies” Open was first conducted by the Women’s Professional Golfers Association from 1946 until 1948. Thereafter, the LPGA assumed responsibility, conducting the championship from 1949 until 1952. Prior to the USGA taking over administration of the U.S. Women’s Open in 1953, champions received a trophy donated by the Spokane Athletic Round Table, a fraternal order. The USGA declined the group’s offer to continue sponsorship and instead provided a sterling silver, two-handled trophy produced by the silversmith J. E. Caldwell and Co. of Philadelphia. The U.S. Women’s Open Championship Trophy was first presented in 1953 to Betsy Rawls at the Country Club of Rochester, N.Y.

The original trophy was replicated in July 1992 by the family and friends of longtime USGA Committeeman Harton S. Semple, who served as USGA president from 1973 to 1974. The Harton S. Semple Trophy was first presented to Patty Sheehan at Oakmont Country Club in 1992, when the original trophy was retired to Golf House.

 

The U.S. Junior Amateur Championship trophy was presented in 1948 by the USGA.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Junior Amateur Championship
The U.S. Junior Amateur Championship Trophy was presented in 1948 by the USGA. The large sterling silver bowl of Sheraton design is a replica of a bowl produced by noted early American silversmith Samuel Williamson in 1796, which is in the collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Dean Lind was the first to receive the trophy after his victory in 1948 at the University of Michigan Golf Club in Ann Arbor, Mich.

 

Glenna Collett Vare donated the U.S. Girls Junior Championship trophy in 1949.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Girls’ Junior Championship
The sterling silver U.S. Girls’ Junior Championship trophy was donated by Glenna Collett Vare in 1949. Vare was one of the game’s greatest amateurs, winning a record six U.S. Women’s Amateur Championships between 1922 and 1935. The lidded, twin-handled trophy urn, like the Junior Amateur bowl, closely follows the style of classic Philadelphia silver. The perpetual Glenna Collett Vare Trophy was first presented to Marlene Bauer in 1949 at Philadelphia Country Club in Gladwyne, Pa.

 

The USGA inaugurated the USGA Senior Amateur Championship in 1955.

Click to Enlarge

USGA Senior Amateur Championship
Recognizing the remarkable growth of senior golf and development of numerous senior golf associations across the United States, the USGA inaugurated the USGA Senior Amateur Championship in 1955. The perennial trophy was donated in 1955 by retiring Executive Committee member Frederick L. Dold, who served five years beginning in 1950. The hand-hammered bowl features a blue enamel and gold stem. J. Wood Platt was the first recipient of the Frederick L. Dold Trophy at Belle Meade Country Club in Nashville, Tenn.

 

The USGA Senior Women's Amateur trophy was made in Ireland in 1897.

Click to Enlarge

USGA Senior Women’s Amateur Championship
Although there are no discernable hallmarks, USGA records indicate that the large “Irish”-handled trophy for the USGA Senior Women’s Amateur was manufactured in Dublin, Ireland, in 1897. The sterling silver trophy was purchased in 1962 by the “Friends of Senior Golf” and the USGA, specifically to serve as the perennial trophy for the new championship. That same year, Maureen Orcutt was the first recipient of the trophy with her victory at Manufacturers’ Golf & Country Club in Oreland, Pa.

 

The U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links trophy was first presented in 1977.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship
The U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links Championship trophy was presented in 1977 by Robert F. Dwyer, of Portland, Ore., a member of the USGA Executive Committee from 1962 to 1974, and a member of the Public Links Committee. Kelly Fuiks was the first to receive the sterling silver Robert F. Dwyer Trophy with her 1977 victory at Yahara Hills Golf Club in Madison, Wis.

 

The U.S. Senior Open trophy is dedicated to Francis Ouimet.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Senior Open Championship
The U.S. Senior Open Championship, first held in 1980, is a relatively young national championship when compared with the others conducted by the USGA. Yet the U.S. Senior Open trophy is actually the oldest of the USGA’s championship trophies.

On September 24, 1894, the Tuxedo Club of Tuxedo Park, N.Y., invited three other clubs to compete in the first American interclub tournament. Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, Saint Andrew’s Golf Club, and The Country Club of Brookline agreed to the challenge. While there is still some dispute as to who actually won, The Country Club team, comprising H. C. Leeds, Laurence Curtis, Robert Bacon, and W. B. Thomas, returned home with the trophy. The sterling silver, hourglass-shaped trophy remained in the club’s possession until the mid-1950s, when it was loaned to the USGA Museum for exhibition.

As the USGA prepared for the first U.S. Senior Open in 1980, The Country Club team suggested the trophy be removed from exhibition and used as the championship trophy. It was presented “by The Country Club and Golfers of Massachusetts,” and dedicated as the Francis D. Ouimet Memorial Trophy. Roberto De Vicenzo received it at Winged Foot Golf Club as the inaugural champion. In 1997, the USGA produced a replica trophy, complete with engraving of the names of the 1894 Brookline team, and awarded it to Graham Marsh at Olympia Fields (Ill.) Country Club. The original was given its second and final retirement.

 

The U.S. Mid-Amateur trophy was originally named the Davis Freeman Golf Trophy.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship
When the USGA announced its intention to conduct the inaugural U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship in 1981, the Atlanta Athletic Club donated a decorative, sterling silver trophy that had been won three times by its most famous member - Bob Jones. The ornate, three-handled loving cup, originally named the Davis Freeman Golf Trophy, was once used as the prize for a junior tournament at the Atlanta Athletic Club. The trophy was awarded first in 1909 and retired after three consecutive victories by Bob Jones in 1917, 1919, and 1920. The trophy was donated to the USGA by the Atlanta Athletic Club and Georgia State Golf Association, and named the Robert T. Jones Jr. Memorial Trophy. Jim Holtgrieve became the first to receive the Jones Memorial Trophy in 1981 following his victory at the Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis.

 

Mildred Gardiner Prunaret presented the U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur trophy in 1987.

Click to Enlarge

U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Championship
Like the Curtis Cup, the U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Championship trophy is a sterling silver rose bowl of Paul Revere design. The trophy was presented in 1987 by Mildred Gardiner Prunaret, who served as Chairman of the USGA Women’s Committee from 1959 to 1963. The trophy was first claimed in 1987 by Cindy Scholefield at the inaugural championship at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Okla.